BROWN SUGAR MOUNTAIN DEW HAM
Brown Sugar Mountain Dew is a sweet ham glaze, made with brown sugar, Mountain Dew soda and spices. Spread over a ham and baked, it will make the ham the star of your dinner table
🥘 INGREDIENTS FOR THIS RECIPE
- Fully cooked ham
- Mountain Dew soda
- Brown sugar
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground ginger
- Optional: pineapple rings and maraschino cherries
- 3 lb. ham fully cooked
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup mountain dew soda
- 2 tbsp mountain dew soda
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 slices pineapple fresh or canned, optional
- 4 maraschino cherries, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350. Pour the ¼ cup of Mountain Dew into the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of Mountain Dew, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, and paprika together to form a thick paste.
- Place the ham in the prepared baking dish. Use a sharp knife to cut thin slices in the top of the ham. Spread half of the glaze on top of the ham.
- Optionally, affix pineapple rings with maraschino cherries to the ham using toothpicks.
- Bake the ham for 1 hour, basting with the juice from the bottom every 20 minutes.
- When 20 minutes remain, spread the remaining glaze on top of the ham and bake for the remainder of the time.
- Let ham cool for 10 minutes, then thinly slice.
FAQ’S FOR BAKING A HAM
- Why do you add the glaze at the end? Splitting the glaze in half allows some of the mixture to seep into the ham and the other half (added at the end) allows the sugars to caramelize and create a sweet, crunchy shell on top.
- Do you need to wrap the ham in foil? No, this recipe has enough liquid to keep the ham from drying out.
- Can you reheat a glazed ham? Yes. Whip up an additional half batch of this glaze to add to them ham when reheating it in the oven. Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes or until warmed through.