• 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
• 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
• 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
• 1/2 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
• 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 6 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
Optional: Shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce, salsa, guacamole, sliced red onions and sour cream
In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Turn to coat; cover. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute peppers and onions in remaining oil until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
Drain chicken, discarding marinade. In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes. Return pepper mixture to pan; heat through.
Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with desired toppings.
Chicken Fajitas Tips
What can I use instead of chicken?
Fajitas are wonderfully flexible and versatile! To save on prep time, use chicken tenders. They are a tad larger than chicken breast strips, so be sure to add enough time to cook them through. Swap out the chicken for steak, tofu and even portobello mushrooms. Or skip the protein and bump up the veggies.
What toppings go on tortillas?
The sky’s the limit when it comes to toppings, and everyone can use whatever they want. Our favorites include guacamole, pico de gallo or salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream and hot sauce.
What do you serve with chicken fajitas?
Fajitas are wonderful served on homemade tortillas. For side dishes, try black beans with bell peppers and rice, tomato avocado salad, chicken tortilla soup or a colorful corn and bean salad.
1 fajita: 369 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 fat.